[mythtv-users] analog to digital setup

GMAIL zeretic at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 05:36:23 UTC 2011

Hi folks,

Been a long time user of mythTV and am making the jump from all analog to digital - possibly with some analog straggler channels - and have stepped just outside my comfort zone.

While back i bought a pair of Hauppauge 2250s to replace the 150 and 300 I have been using.

Setup:
Ubuntu 11.10
ASUS M5A97
Athlon II x4 3.0 GHz
8gb ram and 1.5 TB of disk split into multiple raid arrays for storage using mdadm
2x2250
Comcast VT is my cable provider

I have yet to switch my cable to digital, it appears I have clear qam digital and hd on the wire so figured I could set up the new box before making the billing switch - I am only interested in recording clear channels.

At this point I have set up the analog side and am able to record on all four tuners (video0 - video3).

Where I am having conceptual issues is with setting up the digital side.
1) it is unclear how to set up the four tuners to record either analog or digital depending on the target channel - if that is even possible.

2) it is also unclear how to target the digital Channels in the listings when they have analog matches as well e.g.: channel 3 analog is 3-1 hd
I believe this is a mapping issue but 3-1 does not have a xmltvid and 3-1 and 3-2 ( station weather different content than 3-1) share the same freqid of 83, but have different call signs (3 WCAX, 3-1 WCAX HD, and  3-2 WCAX WE), content, and names per a recent scan. With other channels the freqid is different across all three or the same across multiple channels.

what I have not done yet is set up a digital only scenario as I am not sure about how to resolve #2 and #1 is a problem as some channels seem to only be offered over analog eg PBS.

Suggestions appreciated.

Thank you,

-m