[mythtv-users] Configuring mceusb for frontend with 3.0 kernel

Kenneth Emerson kenneth.emerson at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 20:42:06 UTC 2011

On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 2:14 PM, <boehm100 at comcast.net> wrote:

> Hi Ken,
>
> I just set up a mceusb receiver/transmitter this week on Ubuntu 11.10
> 64bit this week.  Hope I can help.
>
> This link wasn't bad but there is a lot conflicting / old / muddled info
> in it.
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MCE_Remote

Yes, I saw that article but found all the information in it to be old.
 If/when I get my configuration working, I will update the article for the
new mceusb driver.

> The key to setting it up was configuring the lircd daemon.  2 files are
> important to setup correctly, /etc/hardware.conf and /etc/lircd.conf.
>
> lircd.conf is where you define remote button presses.  Its not where you
> define what myth does with the button press. The file is custom to the
> remote you are going to use and therefore I've given a link to the one I'm
> using only as a reference.
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5009656/lircd.conf
>
> I believe I got this one set up but not for lircd but for the standard
input driver.  This makes more sense as long as I can get lircd to read
from the mceusb driver.

> hardware.conf is where you tell lircd daemon how to contact your mceusb
> receiver/transmitter.  You can probably just use mine.
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5009656/hardware.conf
>
> This is where I was having problems.  Your .conf file is definitely
different from mine.  Hopefully, this will get me on the right track.

> To get mythtv to do stuff with your remote you need to run irexec at
> startup with a config file.  I have a startup script that runs this line
> /usr/bin/irexec -d /home/jboehm/.mythtv/lircrc
> Here is my lircrc file.  Its custom so mine is only an example.
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5009656/lircrc
>
> I should be able to start with my lircrc file from my backend.  When I
have an extra $70 I'll probably go for another Harmony remote so that the
two boxes will behave the same (high WAF).

Other hints:
> * Make sure lirc is installed
> * There are several different versions of mceusb. Some versions may not
> work right. (From what I've heard)
> * I didn't need to add anything to my modprob startup file
> * irw app is very good as a sanity check that lircd is setup properly.
> (come with the lirc package)
> * ps axu | grep APP_NAME      this is very helpful for determining if the
> deamon started correctly.
> * look for error and warning is /var/log/syslog
>
> Hope that helps,
> Jon
>

> Thanks for your reply.  I'll come back to this thread with my results.
Sure to help others when they encounter the same issues.

-- Ken E.