[mythtv-users] Configuring mceusb for frontend with 3.0 kernel

phipps-hutton at sky.com phipps-hutton at sky.com
Wed Dec 28 20:26:29 UTC 2011

Quoting Kenneth Emerson <kenneth.emerson at gmail.com>:
> Has anyone gone down this road yet or am I the first (yuck)?

I'm not on Ubuntu but Debian with a backported 3.1 kernel which is
probably similar enough. You are right that mos IR devices are now
included with the kernel and the drivers should just work with X. The
problem is that most remote keys are not mapped very well so usually
just the arrows and OK works but not much more. I've gone back to
using LIRC with MythTV since it's well tested.

I have a hacked up /etc/lirc/hardware.conf:

LIRCD_ARGS=""
LOAD_MODULES=false
DEVICE="/dev/lirc0"
MODULES=""
LIRCD_CONF=""
LIRCMD_CONF=""
echo lirc > /sys/class/rc/rc0/protocols 2>/dev/null || true

The script is sourced so you can put commands in it and they will be
run just before lircd is run. The last line stops the keyboard driver
grabbing the remote and lets lircd have control. Everything else is
unchanged from a 2.6.?? kernel. udev (or is it modprobe?) loads the
modules at boot up (I get ir_lirc_codec, lirc_dev, ir_mce_kbd_decoder,
ir_sony_decoder, ir_jvc_decoder, ir_rc6_decoder, ir_rc5_decoder,
rc_rc6_mce, ir_nec_decoder, mceusb and rc_core). If lircd can't see
the devie file you could try manually loading some of those modules.

Hope this helps,
Tim.