[mythtv-users] Newbie Help with Mythbuntu 11.10 - Can't see TV after setup

john jf1.mangan at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 20:01:46 UTC 2011

Have set up PC with fresh install of mythbuntu 11.10
Kernel: 3.0.0-14-generic
Intel Core 2 6420 @ 2.13 GHz
2GB Ram
2GB Swap space

Tuner CCA: Hauppauge 2250
Graphics CCA: PNY GeForced GT 520 (NVIDIA proprietary drivers
installed); 1024 video ram

Have gone through installation and setup (2 or 3 times actually) and
cannot get any TV out of the frontend.

Have installed firmware.
Have verified the CCA works using "azap" and "mplayer
/dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0" (picture looks great).
Have found that "mplayer /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0"  does NOT work.

In the backend setup under the "Capture card setup"
Card Type: DVB DTV capture card (v3.x)
DVB Device number only gives me the choice of
/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 or /dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0
Have not been able to determine how to change this to something else
(like dvr0).

When I select TV in the frontend, all that happens is that a "Please
wait" screen pops up (so fast I didn't even notice it a couple of times)
and then the screen returns to the normal front end view.

Not being any sort of computer guru, I'm lost as how to proceed.  Would
really appreciate some suggestions.

John