[mythtv-users] Powering up hidden FE

Dale Pontius DEPontius at edgehp.net
Sat Dec 24 18:23:19 UTC 2011

On 12/24/2011 12:31 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 12/24/2011 12:20, Kenneth Emerson wrote:
>>
>> I'm building my first front end and have the opportunity to hide the
>> box in the basement hiding the wires in the wall. I'm using a Rosewill
>> mceusb remote and can bring the IR receiver up the wall as well.  Is
>> there a method to power up the FE using only the remote (either power
>> off or sleep mode)?
>>

> The MCEUSB units can power up a machine over USB if powered off the 5VSB
> signal, but it relies on the motherboard being able to accept the signal
> in that sleep state.  Some can, other can't.

I'm running a dedicated FE machine this way.  Right after kernel-2.6.32
it became necessary to do extra tweaks in the /sys tree to tell the
proper USB stuff to stay awake while the system slept.  Simply setting
stuff in /proc/acpi/wake no longer works.  Apparently I have one of
lucky motherboards.  Incidentally, there wasn't much documentation, nor
was it readily available about the post-2.6.32 /sys tweaks to support
USB wakeup from the mceusb receiver.  That system is sleeping now, but
if anyone needs the info, I can grab it next time it's awake.

Dale