[mythtv-users] tuner priorities

Tim Draper veehexx at gmail.com
Sat Dec 24 08:42:23 UTC 2011

On 23 December 2011 17:50, David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 12:25:10PM -0500, Michael T. Dean wrote:

>> > I'm going to ignore the live TV issue for a moment.
>> >
>> > If I understand Tim correctly, his situation is the main reason input
>> > priorities exist.  He has an input which is less desirable than other
>> > inputs in all cases.  Even later showings on the other inputs are
>> > preferred over earlier showings on the undesired input.  Using a lower
>> > priority on the undesired input will accomplish that.
>>
>> Ah, OK, I misread his post, thinking he was saying he just wanted to
>> control which is used for Live TV.  And, yes, input priorities are a
>> good way to say, "I'd rather record this show later/possibly miss this
>> show than use this input."  (I even thought about adding a bit to say
>> they're only useful for bad tuners/signals, but left it out thinking it
>> would only confuse the issue.)
>>
>> > Now, back to live TV.  Live TV always been an after thought in MythTV
>> > and so it's configuration is pretty arcane.  The procedure Mike
>> > described above is the current way to have MythTV try to avoid
>> > conflicts on the good inputs when live TV is entered.  If you want
>> > live TV to use the best available card, you need to configure the
>> > tuner cards in the desired order instead of reverse order.
>>
>> And disable "Avoid conflicts..."
>
> Yes, Avoid conflicts would only be used to add the new values when
> upgrading the schema.  After that, only the values given by the user
> would be used.
>
> David
> --
> David Engel
> david at istwok.net

thanks for the info all.

> I'm taking off work next week and have been considering a small MythTV
> project or two to work on.  Providing more explicit control of input
> ordering for scheduling and live TV is one thing I've been
> considering.  Is there any interest in that?

live tv seems to be the issue. schedule recordings appear to work fine
and as desired using the preferred tuners.
as we've established above, if livetv tuner usage honoured the tuner
priority values like schedule recordings does, surely thats the way
forward? in other words, livetv should honour both rules, but use the
tuner priority values above avoid conflicts.

at the moment i've just disabled my DVB-T channels than are duplicates
of the DVB-S2 channels, and i'll get round to applying the changes
that Michael suggested sometime over Christmas.