[mythtv-users] ramfs for mysql

Dan Wilga mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Fri Dec 23 14:52:14 UTC 2011

On 12/23/11 8:47 AM, Josu Lazkano wrote:
> 2. I read that there are two different ram based fs, ramfs and tmpfs,
> which is the recommended one for mysql?

I went looking for documentation on this, and discovered that use of
ramfs by any user other than root is strongly discouraged, because ramfs
can potentially consume all available RAM, and there is no way to
enforce a limit.

So the better way to go is, most likely, tmpfs. By default, most distros
will include an entry like this is /etc/fstab:

tmpfs                   /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0

which mounts a ramdisk at /dev/shm. By default, it will resize
dynamically, up to half of the system RAM. If you want to have some
other maximum size, you can use the "size" mount option.