[mythtv-users] Suppliment Tivo with MythTV?

Steve Wahl steve at pro-ns.net
Thu Dec 22 17:40:01 UTC 2011

I'm sure TiVo is like "the competition" around here, and so I'll try
to keep this short.

I experimented with mythTV a long time ago, on an underpowered
machine.  (800 MHz, without hardware encoding / decoding, almost gave
me a working system with standard-def TV).

I currently have a TiVo HD, recording over the air HD content.  Output
to an analog NTSC video modulator so all TVs in the house can watch
the tivo content on channel 63.  However, it's not HD and as we look
at upgrading our TVs, simply replacing the NTSC analog modulator with
a HD ATSC video modulator is a expensive proposition.

I'm considering the alternative of automatedly fetching the videos
from the Tivo to a linux machine, and "inserting" them into a mythTV
database as if an actual myth back-end had recorded them.  Then small
set top boxes at the other TV's as myth-tv front ends would handle
playback.  (Hopefully disk space management would work the same as if
a real myth back end had recorded it).

Does this seem feasable?  Is mythTV the right tool for this job?
Are there good options for small set top front ends nowdays?

Thanks in advance for any replies, even if off-list telling me I'm
addressing the wrong forum...

--> Steve

Steve Wahl    steve at pro-ns.net

Real men don't take backups, they just "mv home.tar.gz
olsen_twins_hottub.mpg" and share it on KaZaA  -- Unknown