[mythtv-users] 0.24 with digital audio

Jim Oltman jim.oltman at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 15:17:09 UTC 2011

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 5:32 PM, Richard Morton
<richard.e.morton at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am struggling to get 5.1 audio to work
>
> I have previously set it up and working to my liking, which is by all
> accounts a simple setup. I have recently changed video card to a GT430 from
> a 8500GT, now the audio doesnt behave.
>
> deletia

> and the device I want to use is (I am pretty sure)
> - iec958:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
>
> however myth wont accept this. (which I am entering as
> "ALSA:iec958:CARD=Intel,DEV=0" into the General settings audio output
> device option.
>
> When entered I want to tell it that i have 5.1 speakers and initially this
> is accepted but quickly it is reset to stereo, upmixer is disabled as an
> option and I am stuck.
>
> I can go into playback and enable (toggle) audio mixer...
>
> what am I doing wrong?
> thanks

You say you purchased a GT430 card.  That has onboard HD audio codec
support.  Do you want to use HDMI for your audio as well as your video?  If
you don't have a receiver capable of the HD Audio Codecs (Dolby TrueHD or
DTS HD Master) then it's up to you what you want to use.  But you can still
use the HDMI audio for normal Dolby Digital and DTS Surround.  Just trying
to clarify.