[mythtv-users] FreeviewHD (UK) scanning/partial lock problem

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Mon Dec 19 21:51:09 UTC 2011

On 12/19/2011 09:04 PM, Nick Rout wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 9:39 AM, John Pilkington<J.Pilk at tesco.net>  wrote:
>> I've just connected a PCTVnanoStick T2 to my laptop running 0.24-fixes
>> under SL6 with the driver package created by the media_build script.
>> This was done shortly before similar kmdls became available for Fedora
>> and RHEL6-near-clones from ATrpms.
>>
>> I'm lacking HD display and processing capability at present, but I've
>> seen both SD and HD channels with VLC;  Myth is OK with SD but gets only
>> partial lock on HD.
>>
>> For vlc the procedure is:  Media>  Open Capture Device>  DVB>
>> DVB-T/Transponder Frequency (769666kHz for Waltham)/Bandwidth 8MHz>
>> Watch the pretty pictures - in my case sometimes a bit pixellated.
>> This gives BBC HD: other programs are selected from Playback>  Program.
>>   The same procedure gives SD if an appropriate mux frequency is
>> specified.  HD Codec info reported 1920*1080 resolution.
>>
>> In Mythtvsetup the identification of the right options for the device
>> was confusing: several card types and chips were offered as
>> possibilities but only the DVB-T option seems to do anything useful.
>>
>> For Mythtvsetup use the Transport Editor to define frequency
>> (769666666Hz),
>
> shouldn't that be 769666000?

This is getting even more embarrassing: a quick google suggests it's
770.0 MHz.  The 769666666 was initially generated by a vlc scan that I
triggered unexpectedly by entering dvb://  when I was beginning to lose
hope.  It started, IIRC, at 170 MHz and crawled past two or three SD
muxes without finding anything; I had moved away when it started
playing, and that was what it showed then.  I didn't check, and my post
was intended to give the syntax that seemed to work rather than the
actual frequency.  It seemed to work with the myth scan too, but it just
could be the source of the other problems.  Round the loop a few more
times, I fear.