[mythtv-users] Cross-compiled win32 binaries failing to run

Markus Mattinen thechoris at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 21:42:50 UTC 2011

2011/12/19 Mark Boyum <circushair at gmail.com>

> On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 3:17 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 8:19 AM, Markus Mattinen <thechoris at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> Hello mythtv-users,
> >>
> >> I've been trying to cross-compile Mythtv master branch (mainly
> interested in
> >> the frontend) for Windows.
> >> Compiling works fine, but the resulting .exe just doesn't seem to do
> >> anything (it exits immediately without any error messages).
> >> Cross-compiling was done in mingw32 on my laptop with 64bit Arch Linux
> and
> >> Core i5 450M cpu.
> >> I tried running the .exe in both Wine on the laptop and Windows 7 on my
> >> desktop (64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium, Core i3 2100 cpu).
> >>
> >> For compiling, I was following the instructions on this site:
> >> http://www.softsystem.co.uk/mythtv/index.htm
> >> using the build script in
> >> http://www.softsystem.co.uk/download/mythtv/mythbuild-CURRENT.zip.
> >> I also tried the other guide that involves installing Mingw32&MSys on
> >> Windows, but that one resulted in a bunch of "out of memory" errors in
> make
> >> and ld.exe (I have 8GB of RAM on the Windows desktop, so must be that
> >> 2GB/process limitation in 32 bit Windows processes).
> >> I did eventually manage to compile a release version, but running the
> >> resulting mythfrontend.exe resulted in the error "The application was
> unable
> >> to start correctly (0xc0000142). Click OK to close the application."
> >> Apparently something to do with failing to load DLLs?
> >> I never managed to compile a debug version on Windows because of the
> ld.exe
> >> out of memory problems.
> >>
> >> Any help or suggestions would be welcome.
> >> If some more information or log/debug output is needed, I can try to
> get it.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Markus Mattinen
> >> thechoris at gmail.com
> >
> > I can't directly answer your question, but this site has some
> > pre-compiled if that helps:
> >
> > http://members.iinet.net.au/~davco/
>
> I've been using binaries downloaded from
> http://mythtvwindows.sourceforge.net/ for about a week with great
> success.  I'm only using the frontend to watch recordings on a laptop
> but haven't had any major issues.
>
> -Mark

Thank you both for the answers.
I'm aware of those and they do work fine for me, but I really want to be
able to build it myself.
Mostly because I prefer the metadata system in the master branch over that
in 0.24.1, and because I'd like to be able to add a patch or two for my
private use whenever needed.

Just in case it makes sense to anyone, here's the wine-gdb output and
backtrace of mythfrontend.exe on my laptop:
http://pastebin.com/Lg938uDE