[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu 32bit - how much RAM can it use?

Martin Moores moores.martin at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 08:18:09 UTC 2011

On 18 December 2011 16:03, Kingsley Turner <krt at krt.com.au> wrote:
> Hi-yas!
>
> I moved my workstation motherboard into my mythbox, so now the 32-bit OS has
> access to 8G ram.
> However it only "sees" 2.5G
>
> Is there some tweak I can do to this?  I expected it to use at least 4G.
>
> Guess I could update to 64bit Mythbuntu ... but the WAF would be low, since
> i reckon it would take at least a couple of days to sort it all out to back
> how it was (firmware for PCI cards, channel setup, etc.).
>
> The memory is an issue because this box (given it's always on) also serves
> the kids' minecraft server, which is a real RAM hog.
>
> thanks,
> -kt

As far as I know, the technical limit of 3GB applies to Linux OS's as
well as Windows.  A mistake constantly made at work when managers want
faster machines.............

32-bit OS's can only "see" or map 3GB of RAM, this includes video RAM,
I would recommend the 64-bit route, I have used 64-bit Ubuntu and have
not had any issues as far as anything being incompatible for example.

I do remember reading somewhere about there being a way around this
RAM limit in Linux, but I don't know where and to what extent it was
true, I guess a bit of Googleing would throw up anything like that

Martin