[mythtv-users] Seeking Motherboard Advice

Kenneth Emerson kenneth.emerson at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 19:05:07 UTC 2011

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 6:28 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com>wrote:

> There have been a couple discussions in the past about this.  The 2000
> and 3000 should have enough OpenGL power for MythTV's video rendering
> needs, but the drivers are lacking some of the convenience features of
> the nVidia ones, such as being able to force an EDID block for when the
> X server is started with the TV off.  I don't know what the status of
> HDMI audio is off hand.

I would like to thank all who have given there advice/opinions on this
subject.  It looks like the Sandybridge graphics is not really ready for
prime-time yet.  I've decided to go with the following:

   - Silverstone SG05B Mini-iTX case
   - i3 2105 CPU
   - 2x2GB Patriot DD3 1333 memory
   - Asus P8H61-I mobo
   - Asus GT430 video card

This shopping list comes in at about $410 without HDD (which I have plenty
lying around). A bit concerned about fan noise.

With a given of a beefy enough CPU to decode video without GPU horsepower,
I'd say building one of these boxes comes down to what you are looking for:

   - Cheap
   - Quiet
   - Small

Pick any two of the three.  :-)