[mythtv-users] anyone using percona instead of mysql (stock)?

Gavin Hurlbut gjhurlbu at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 14:33:38 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 6:26 AM, Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:
> I wonder if anyone is using Percona instead of the vanilla mysql for the
> performance boost it's ExtraDB (InnoDB with performance enhancements)
> implementation.

Have you even tried using InnoDB in mysql with MythTV yet?  If not,
I'd suggest that might be worth your time first.  Using InnoDB
requires some config tweaking that is not generally done by the distro
(and definitely not by Ubuntu in my experience) that will make the
difference between unusably slow and blazingly fast.  Switching to
percona will likely also require nearly identical config tweaking if
you intend to use something InnoDB-based.

I don't see any performance issues whatsoever with MySQL (stock) with
appropriate configuration tweaks.  And I'm using ext4 with barriers
turned ON for the underlying filesystem.  And my total database size
is around 1GB.  Part of it I have changed to InnoDB (all the big
tables), and the remainder is MyISAM.

Of course, most people are not capable of being a DBA in their spare time. :)