[mythtv-users] What can be controlled through a system event perl script?

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Tue Dec 13 04:22:21 UTC 2011

On 12/12/2011 22:19, Daniel Born wrote:
> Firstly, I'm using Mythbuntu 10.04 with Mythtv 0.23.1 (latest 0.23
> release)
>
> I'm using find-zero-byte.pl with Gavin's "HDPVR killer device". This
> perl script is called from the RecordingStarted system event.
>
> Today my hdpvr locked up and the find-zero-byte.pl script worked in
> the sense that it reset the pdpvr by power cycling it. The script also
> returned a '1' to the caller BUT even though the hdpvr recovered, myth
> continued to "record" to a zero byte file for the rest of that
> recording schedule.

The System Event utility in MythTV just exists trigger an external
command on certain events.  It doesn't know or care what the script
does, nor does it do anything based off the return code.  The script
needs to handle everything on its own.

If you only have the one active recording, restarting the backend in
question would have the desired effect.  I'm not certain what would be
required to do such internally.  Perhaps a STOP_RECORDING, a
DELETE_RECORDING with a forget, and a rerun of the scheduler on that
recording rule.  Someone who knows the scheduler better would be able to
answer that properly, although the best solution would be to add a
RESTART_RECORDING command to the protocol and/or Services API.