[mythtv-users] Powersaving AMD CPU for my system wanted.

Tim Draper veehexx at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 10:21:24 UTC 2011

On 10 December 2011 06:50, Kevin Ross <kevin at familyross.net> wrote:
> On 12/09/2011 06:17 PM, Ziegaus Matthias wrote:
>
> Hello Mythtv-users.
> I am looking for an energy efficient AMD CPU and tips on RAM choice for the
> following System:
>
> ASUS Pundit P6-M4A3000E
>

> (Geizhals)
> Western Digital Caviar Green 2000GB, SATA 6Gb/s (WD20EARX)
>

> (Geizhals)
> DVBSky S952
>

> (Geizhals)
>
> The System should be able to handle the following tasks while using as
> little power as possible, to be able to run 24/7.
>

> MythTV Back/Frontend:
> - Watch/Record/Encode HDTV
> - Send Music/Video/Pictures to other Frontend
> - Emulate older consoles.
>
> Run a SSH Server
>
> Run a RADIUS Server.
>

> I need a fitting CPU for those tasks matching the above mentioned AM3
> Socket.
>
> As for the Ram i thought about 1GB or max 2 GB ( Is it important to check
> the brand, or does any Ram do the job? If yes i would love to get some
> hints)
>
> Thank you very much,
> Zigi
>
> P.S.: If there are general concerns about the harware chosen please also
> tell me.
> I do really like to experiment with sofware of all kinds but as for hardware
> my knowledge is totally outdated.
> Also: First time using a Mailing list so dont be mad at me for mistakes ;)
> Thank you.
>

> A Sempron or the 45W Athlon II 235e should do fine, except for the "emulate
> other consoles" requirement.  If you're talking about a PS2 emulator, it
> will need a faster CPU than what I mentioned.  Older, easier to emulate
> consoles would probably be okay.
>
> For playing h.264 content, you'll need an nVidia card supporting VDPAU,
> since those CPU's won't be fast enough to decode h.264 in software (in my
> experience, anyway).
>
> Hope this helps!
> -- Kevin

i'd be taking a look at the newer Fusion AMD chips - a4, a6 or a8's
depending on the grunt required (i believe they are all full-chips).

VDPAU will be a big plus opting for nvidia graphics, unless you fancy
being a guinea pig for the AMD decoding on 0.25 (i believe there is
code that allows amd decoding, but it's still in testing?)