[mythtv-users] Fedora 16 for mythTV

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Fri Dec 9 21:30:09 UTC 2011

On Friday, December 09, 2011 11:05:35 AM Gabe Rubin <gaberubin at gmail.com>
wrote:
> I used preupgrade, or should say tried to.  I got bit with the /boot
> partition not being big enough.  If anyone can advise as to how to
> increase the /boot partition, that would be great.  I was able to
> remove some old kernels when moving to Fedora 15 but I screwed up when
> removing kernels to Fedora 16 and had to burn a DVD and fix the
> upgrade that way.  Lesson learned, future upgrades will be via dvd
> (could not get my system to boot off a USB flash drive).

Having tried preupgrade a few times since it came out I always become a
bigger fan of using Yum and now it's the only way I'll do an upgrade:

       http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/YumUpgradeFaq

My biggest problems with preupgrade are:

- restarting after it has downloaded everything is a brutal reboot, not a
  nice shutdown/reboot - that's icky

- restarting manually, like "I'll reboot after" , doesn't load the new
  installer kernel so you end up back where you were before (and wondering
  WTF?) unless you edit grub.conf to use the installer kernel

- the installer needs at least 768M to run upon reboot, something it
  doesn't mention two hours earlier when you start the downloading

- the installer needs a much bigger /boot than you need to run with after
  so you hit the too-small gotcha

The only benefit I see to preupgrade is that you can work while it
downloads, but if you don't know the gotchas that becomes moot. With Yum
you clean up a bit first (as you should before preupgrade) then download an
RPM for the release you want, and then yum update sees you're a release
behind and starts downloading. When it's done, reboot and clean up. Very
tidy and so far for me through a dozen server and workstation upgrades,
much more reliable than preupgrade.