[mythtv-users] Auto-transcode to x264 and update MythTV database along the way

Jeremy Jones jeremy.dwain.jones at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 15:35:10 UTC 2011

On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 9:18 AM, Robert Waldner <waldner at waldner.priv.at>wrote:

> On Fri, 09 Dec 2011 07:50:07 CST, Jeremy Jones writes:
> >What you want is the Transcode Wrapper Stub on the MythTV Wiki.  It will
> >let you put in your own transcode command and will take care of the
> >database stuff for you.  As for the pretty names, I run mythlink
> >to create 'pretty' names linked to the actual file in a separate
> directory.
> > That way the integrity of the naming convention is kept in place.
> >
> >check this page: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Transcode_wrapper_stub
> >
> >and this one: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythlink.pl
> >
> >You can also replace the mythTV transcode command to us this and then set
> >it to flag commercials afterward.  There are several recent threads out
> >there where Mike Dean and Raymond Wagner helped me get this working on my
> >machine.
>
> Thanks for the pointers - right now I'm trying to figure out how to get
>  the commercial-detection information out of the DB, so I can then use
>  that to make chapter markers in MKV.
>
> Not sure how to do this, but I do recall someone telling me that the
markers are based on frames.  If your transcoding operation changes the
frame count then you will need to run the commercial flag after
transcoding. If you need help extracting that information and do not find
it by google search then I would start a new thread on that subject.

> (I am not watching the recordings via Myth, as that machine is nowhere
>  near my nice&big TV-set; I use a different media player (Xtreamer) for

Are you using the myth UpnP or another DLNA server or just an SMB share?  I
assumed the SMB share, hence the need for the "Pretty" folder/File naming.

>  playback and want chapter markers at start/end of the commercials so I
>  can easily skip around. I don't trust mythcommflag enough to actually
>  cut the commercials (yet).)
>

> cheers,
> &rw
> --