[mythtv-users] Anyone using Sandy Bridge graphics in a front end?

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 20:42:30 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 11:58 AM, Matt Garman <matthew.garman at gmail.com>wrote:

> Just wondering if anyone out there is using Intel's Sandy Bridge graphics
> for their front-end display adapter?
>
> Note that I'm talking about using them as a simple display device only,
> not about using the video decode functionality. In other words, software
> decoding.
>
> When these chips were first released several months ago, Linux graphics
> support was rather flaky. Now I can't find much recent info about the
> status of SNB graphics on Linux... Surely things have improved?
>
> It's frustrating that discrete nvidia graphics are practically a
> requirement for HD media on Linux. In theory, SNB is ideal, since they have
> everything on one package, with low power consumption and very capable CPUs.
>
> Anyway, if you've managed to get a stable FE running with SNB, I'm curious
> as to how it's working for you. Eg, what distro? And did you have to jump
> through any hoops to make it work?
>
> Thanks,
> Matt

Not to veer off topic but I am running a Myth FE on a Macbook Air running
OS X Lion. It works fine and appears to use GPU acceleration, as my CPU
usage stays pretty low. It's the latest ULV Core i5 with Intel HD 3000
graphics. The caveats are of course 1) This is Mac OS, not Linux and 2) I
have only used the 11" 720p screen for viewing. I just figured I'd mention
it.