[mythtv-users] Setting up a backend on Ub11.10

Karl Dietz dekarl at spaetfruehstuecken.org
Wed Dec 7 18:01:42 UTC 2011

Dear SiR,

On 07.12.2011 15:01, SiR GadaBout wrote:
> Karl Dietz replied:
>>  The easier alternative is obviously to just install from sources or go
>>  for the on-air guide data and not use xmltv at all.
>
> Aha, well that sounds ideal. Frankly, I don't know why I need xmltv at
> all, but all the How-Tos I've encountered specify it as a necessity, so
> I went with it.

While you don't *need* xmltv in the UK you will likely *want* it because
the xmltv grabber for UK enhances the radio times guide with lots of
fixups that make setting up recording rules in mythtv a lot easier.
(Due to not having to work around low quality guide data)

 > If you could direct me to the documentation detailing
> how to use the OTA schedules with MythTV, that would be a kindness.

On a fresh Mythbuntu (refering to the packages *or* the distribution)
installation with a DVB card the DVB EIT should "just work" without you
doing anything. (Worked for me in Germany)

 > If you fancied also linking me to a current, beginner-friendly
tutorial or
> How-To on how to set up a back-end on Ub11.10 using minimal
> dependencies, that would also be a kindness.

Having never done that myself I can only refer to random google hits for
the beginner-friendly part (as its either friendly or minimal) of
the installation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mythbuntu#Adding_Mythbuntu_to_Ubuntu
http://www.mythbuntu.org/existing-ubuntu

Once the installation is done the configuration should be the same as
with plain Mythbuntu.

Basically going through steps 1-4 in the Mythtv Setup.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User_Manual:Index

The manual could use some polish, though. (its a wiki, feel free to
enhance it) I'd like to point to a matching guide with UK example but
the ones hosted at random blogs are hopelessly out of date, too.

Regards,
Karl