[mythtv-users] Setting up a backend on Ub11.10

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Dec 7 07:08:21 UTC 2011

On 12/07/2011 01:49 AM, SiR GadaBout wrote:
> I have a laptop running Ubuntu 11.10 Server (64-bit). It is
> essentially headless and managed entirely over SSH. My plan is to
> attach a USB digital TV tuner and serve live TV to my local network
> machines running OS X 10.6.8 and iOS5. I'd also need to be able to
> perform remote scheduling of recordings.
>
> I don't have a great deal of space on the laptop (whilst it currently
> runs on a 80GB HDD, I'll eventually be migrating it to a 16 or 32GB
> USB flash drive), so I'm trying to keep a tight rein on what gets
> installed. I'm also trying to keep a tight rein on running services in
> order to keep power requirements down (UK energy companies are raising
> prices all the time).
>
> I've found several How-Tos regarding MythTV, and this seems like a
> good solution. However, I'm not entirely satisfied with the number of
> dependencies that are installed by apt-get, and would like to
> cherry-pick only the truly required packages for my needs.

> If someone could advise me how to go about installing only the precise
> packages required for my needs, I'd be grateful.

FWIW, even on 32GB, you have way more than enough space for a full
install of any distro in existence.  I use 20GB partitions for my
non-recording file systems and have about 10GB of work space--and I have
a very large distro install.  I'd say just install a normal install and
you'll probably be pleased.

You will need additional storage for recordings, but when it comes to
video, the difference between 32GB (the whole SSD) and 22GB (what you'd
have after using 10GB for a very large distro install) is
irrelevant--both are way too small to be of use for video.  So whether
you have a bloated system install or the leanest possible install,
you'll need that recording storage.  Even on my SDTV only system, I had
300GB to start with (and it wasn't enough).

You may just find that those packagers (who spend a lot of time working
with MythTV devs) actually knew what they were doing when they chose the
list of packages to install to get a working MythTV system.  :)

Mike