[mythtv-users] Sony BD Remote (uinput method not working on 11.04)

Andrew Hughes ahhughes at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 13:48:33 UTC 2011

As recommended on the mythtv wiki, I am trying to get a Sony BD Remote
working using the 'uinput kernel module method'.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO_Setup_PS3_BD_Remote
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO_Setup_PS3_BD_Remote

I need some help diagnosing what is wrong, I have a little Q/A below to
tell you what I do and do not know.

Q: Is uinput running, YES.
`lsmod | grep uinput` has no output, but I do have  '/dev/uinput' which
apparently confirms that I have uinput compiled into my kernel.

Q: Did I run `sudo python ps3_pair.py`, Yes (once).
It found the remote, and apparently paired it successfully.

Q: Can I see the bluetooth device, Yes.
 The following  `/usr/share/doc/bluez/examples/list-devices `
    [ /org/bluez/933/hci0/dev_00_XX_XX_XX_1D_CD ]
        Name = BD Remote Control
        Paired = 0
        Adapter = /org/bluez/933/hci0
        Alias = BD Remote Control
        Connected = 0
        UUIDs = 0x1124 0x1200
        Address = 00:26:43:B6:1D:CD
        Services = dbus.Array([], signature=dbus.Signature('o'),
variant_level=1)
        Class = 0x00250c
        Trusted = 1
        Blocked = 0

Q: Do I have /etc/bluetooth/input.conf with the same as the mythtv wiki,
Yes.

Q: Does the bluetooth remote connect, Unknown!
On the gnome bluetooth ui I can see the remote, I can "Connect" followed by
"Connected -> Connect" (which sounds stupid too but it does apparently
connect). The remote then disconnects after around 2-3 seconds, far less
time that the input.conf's idle timeout.

Q: Does the bluetooth remote type numbers from a keypad in a terminal? No.

Basically, this is not working and Im out of ideas :'(

Help would be awesome :)