[mythtv-users] Newbie

Petteri pjokinen at lavabit.com
Sat Dec 3 09:37:55 UTC 2011

02.12.2011 23:36, Gavin Whitehead kirjoitti:
> -----------snip------------------------
> Simon,
>
> I'm interested by your statement "Don't raid or stripe your recording
> disks together...."
>
> I'm in the process of building a MythTV combined FE/BE and I had thought
> to put in 2 x 2TB SATA disks for the recordings and video/music
> library.  I was going to use RAID1 (mirror) so that a single disk
> failure didn't mean I loose all my recordings and ripped videos/music.
>
> But you seem to be advising against this approach.  How do you protect
> against data lose if not via RAID?
>
> Gavin

Hi,

You could simply make ordinary backup of more important data to the
second disk with cronjob and (for example) rsync or rdiff-backup. I have
two disks for recordings and music library and I backup music library to
the second disk occasionally with cronjob as re-ripping it would be huge
PITA.

Petteri