[mythtv-users] OT: 120hz?

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 03:22:43 UTC 2011

On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 9:11 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 8:31 PM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 7:12 PM, Matt Emmott <memmott at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Not Myth specific but I can't think of a better group to ask this
> question:
> >>
> >> I just picked up a Sharp Aquos tv, capable of 1080p @ 120hz. My MythTV
> FE
> >> has an integrated GeForce 9300 and is connected via VGA, but the
> settings
> >> won't let me go over 60hz. Is it possible to go higher on the refresh?
> The
> >> motherboard has an HDMI port - I've never used HDMI out on a PC before,
> but
> >> if that's what it takes I'm willing to give it a shot.
> >
> > As far as I know most, if not all, manufactures don't accept more that
> > 60Hz. The 120/240/+++Hz is the internal refresh rate, not that rate it
> > accepts a signal.
>
> That's right.  The reason for buying a 120Hz set is not to show 120Hz
> content, but to be able to show both 30Hz and 24Hz content smoothly.
> On a 60Hz set, with native 24 Hz content, it shows alternate frames
> for 2 then 3 refreshes.  With a 120Hz set, it can show each frame
> exactly 5 times, leading to smoother motion.  For 48Hz content (just
> starting to rise in popularity) you need a 240 Hz set.

I knew you guys would have all the answers. The smoothness is a bit jarring
and kind of makes me motion sick. It reminds me of old videotaped stuff,
only a lot sharper.

So, theoretically, an uncompressed rip of a Blu-ray disc played back on my
Mythbox should look identical to the same Blu-ray content played on a
Blu-ray player? The PC input on the tv is VGA, not DVI. I assume that
switching from VGA to HDMI would result in a better picture?