[mythtv-users] Recommendations for new motherboard/cpu combo

Ian Clark mrrooster at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 08:56:40 UTC 2011

On 30 August 2011 23:11, Quinten Steenhuis <qsteenhuis at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking into replacing the motherboard and CPU for my mythtv fe/be.
>
> Currently I have a Gigabyte board GA-M78SM-S2H, and an AMD CPU A64 X2 6000+
> 3.1G, Socket AM2.

[snip]

> Runs a little hot and thus is noisy to cool
> it crashes. I have had to RMA the motherboard with Gigabyte twice, and this
> will be the third. Hence why I am looking into just giving up on this model
> and going to a new board. If there's a good Gigabyte motherboard, I can tell
> Gigabyte to give it to me in the RMA, but I think I would need to buy a new
> CPU since my existing AM2 cpu won't fit a new board.

If you like your existing setup apart from the motherboard, the
cheapest thing is to just replace it:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186166

If you got a slightly larger fan for the CPU, and maybe ran the CPU
underclocked too you could probably reduce the cooling noise. I've got
an old thermaltake fan on mine that only spins up every so often.
(I've not got as fast CPU though so it probably doesn't get so hot.)

Why spend money on stuff you don't need if your existing system works
okay. Although that board has onboard gfx you'd still need an nVidia
card for decent myth stuff.

Cheers,

Ian