[mythtv-users] Recommendations for new motherboard/cpu combo

Quinten Steenhuis qsteenhuis at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 22:11:14 UTC 2011

Hi,

I'm looking into replacing the motherboard and CPU for my mythtv fe/be.

Currently I have a Gigabyte board GA-M78SM-S2H, and an AMD CPU A64 X2 6000+
3.1G, Socket AM2.

I haven't been keeping up very well on the current state of the art, and
just looking around on Newegg I don't have a good sense of what is
future-compatible and reasonably priced for what I need. I'm hoping I can
get some good recommendations.

Things I like about the existing combination:

   - Cost a total of $150. I would like to hit this number, or go under
   without compromising performance. It seems crazy but it looks like it's hard
   to meet this price now with new hardware, although it was easy 2 years ago.
   Help me out here!
   - HDMI output (seems standard now, but important)
   - Can off-load video to VDPAU or equivalent, well-supported video under
   Linux
   - Can handle full-screen HD video without acceleration

What I dislike about the existing combination:

   - Runs a little hot and thus is noisy to cool
   - it crashes. I have had to RMA the motherboard with Gigabyte twice, and
   this will be the third. Hence why I am looking into just giving up on this
   model and going to a new board. If there's a good Gigabyte motherboard, I
   can tell Gigabyte to give it to me in the RMA, but I think I would need to
   buy a new CPU since my existing AM2 cpu won't fit a new board.

Thinking outside of the box, are there other good options for a fe/be combo
that don't just involve replacing the motherboard and CPU in my existing
system? I use an HD-Homerun for recordings, and play back Hulu and other
random flash websites, and I have occasionally used a VM to play back
Netflix.