[mythtv-users] Frontend crashes when playing AVC videos/recordings

Thomas Boehm mythtv-users at lists.boehmi.net
Mon Aug 29 18:15:04 UTC 2011

I think my last reply didn't get approved due to the size of the
attachment. So here it is again. This time I uploaded that file onto my
webspace.

Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 8/28/2011 13:05, Thomas Boehm wrote:
>> I'm having problems with one of my frontends when playing videos in AVC
>> format, which mythnettv downloads. It crashes with any playback profile,
>> even CPU--.
>
> It actually crashes?  If that's actually the case, then use gdb to get a
> backtrace of the core dump.

Yes, it actually crashes and the mythbuntu wrapper script restarts the
frontend. I forgot to mention that I'm using 0.24+fixes.

> If you ACTUALLY mean playback simply ceases and it drops back to the
> menu, try using the Slim profile.

It happens with all profiles. I had the same problem with the higher
resolution versions of these podcasts on my combined FE/BE, but now it
seems to work there with the slim profile. The graphics card in that PC
is a bit more powerful than the other one, I think.

*-display:0
             product: RV535 [Radeon X1650 Series]
             vendor: ATI Technologies Inc
             physical id: 0
             bus info: pci at 0000:03:00.0
             version: 9e
             width: 64 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: pm pciexpress msi bus_master cap_list rom
             configuration: driver=radeon latency=0
             resources: irq:27 memory:d0000000-dfffffff(prefetchable)
memory:fddf0000-fddfffff ioport:bc00(size=256)
memory:fdd00000-fdd1ffff(prefetchable)

I followed the instructions from the wiki and tried to create the
gdb.txt (attached) with "gdb mythfrontend.real -x gdbcommands", but I'm
not sure whether it is of any use. When I start one of the videos, the
mythfrontend stays completely black from the moment it crashes. When I
switch back to the terminal I see a "(gdb)" prompt and nothing happens.
So I "quit" gdb to return to the terminal. The resulting file you can
find here: http://www.boehmi.net/gdb.txt

I hope you can see anything useful in it.

Thanks
Thomas