[mythtv-users] OT: I'm abandoning Netflix (WD Live Hub too.)

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Fri Aug 26 22:30:12 UTC 2011

linux guy <linuxguy123 at gmail.com> says:
> So... I bought a WD Live Hub and tested it out, connected directly to my 55"
> Samsung.

You chose the wrong device. As this excellent AVS Forum thread
(http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/printthread.php?t=1304206&pp=60)
discusses, the consensus is that the Playstation 3 and the Roku 2, in
that order, are the best for Netflix. Both offer 1080p and 5.1 audio.

On that note, my post of 2.5 years ago
(http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/371582#371582)
discussed Netflix streaming on the Xbox 360. I've recently begun using
the feature again, and have seen the following changes:

* The available streaming selection has overall improved greatly, but
  not uniformly, and many films and TV shows (heretofore referred to
  as "programs") appear and disappear over time. Amazingly, of the
  2007 top 10 films list in my earlier message, *none* is now
  available versus three then. Of the 2010 list
  (http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?yr=2010), Toy Story 3,
  Alice in Wonderland, Iron Man 2, and Tangled are available.

* Programs can now be searched for and viewed without having to first
  add them to the instant queue from an external Web browser.

* The interface is attractive and reasonably usable (although some
  fonts are slightly too small to be satisfactory for the proverbial
  "10-foot user interface", so are those used in several prominent
  MythTV themes) Many default genres are available, and there are nice
  features like lists of newly available programs, recently watched
  programs, and dynamically updated lists of programs that Netflix
  thinks are similar to those you've recently watched. Programs by
  default resume playback where it last stopped, like Mythfrontend
  (but not Mythvideo; why did this regress, anyway?  I was perfectly
  happy having it auto-use bookmarks as Mythfrontend does)

* Playback is much better and more stable than before. Instant skips
  are now available on a ratable basis per length of the stream, in
  addition to the "series of still frames" system. Most skips now
  occur without rebuffering, and when it occurs it only takes a few
  seconds versus the previous 15.

* On the other hand, some obvious UI deficiences still exist. For
  example, when using the Xbox 360 remote control, when viewing the
  details of a stream outside playback, as far as I can tell it is
  impossible to scroll the plot and cast list (something done with the
  right analog stick when using the controller). Speaking of plot, why
  can't I view the metadata during playback the way MythTV let me way
  back in 2005?

* Unlike the aforementioned devices, the Xbox 360 only offers 720p (at
  best; many are still DVD-format originals) and no 5.1, although both
  will likely change someday.

Although I remain very happy with my MythTV setup, Netflix is
certainly a much more viable alternative than in 2009. At $8 a month
for a streaming-only subscription, I suspect that it makes much more
sense for many consumers than paying 10 to 15 times as much for HD
cable or satellite.

--
MythTV FAQ Q: "Cheap frontend/backend?" A: Revo, $200-300 @ Newegg
Q: "Record HD cable/satellite?" A: Hauppauge HD-PVR, $200 @ Newegg