[mythtv-users] OT: I'm abandoning Netflix (WD Live Hub too.)

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Fri Aug 26 20:28:50 UTC 2011

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 4:18 PM, jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 04:04:17PM -0400, Eric Sharkey wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 3:21 PM, Kris B. <krisbee at krisbee.com> wrote:
>> > Well I have heard that the WD Live does have issues with netflix, but most
>> > people seem to be happy with the Roku and its' HD.  I only have SD here, so
>> > I can't complain - it looks great through my 3mb connection.
>>

>   Video streamers are convenience devices. In achieving this, they need
> to trade off a bit of quality. It's kind of silly to try and pretend
> otherwise.

Today, perhaps, but I don't expect that to be the case for too much
longer.  I remember what online streaming video meant in the mid 90's,
and we've come a very long way in terms of quality since then.
Getting up to BluRay disc quality within a decade or so doesn't seem
far fetched, to me.

> It's hard enough getting ISPs that are also content providers

You've hit the nail on the head there.

> cooperate with the file/stream sizes that we have already. I don't think that
> excalating to 20G or 40G for a movie will be recieved well by Comcast and
> TWC and such.

But multicast non-realtime downloads have the potential to be much
much more efficient than the unicast streams of today.

Eric