[mythtv-users] OT: I'm abandoning Netflix (WD Live Hub too.)

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Fri Aug 26 19:30:42 UTC 2011

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 3:21 PM, Kris B. <krisbee at krisbee.com> wrote:
> and sometimes the DNS server causes the servers at
> Netflix to "think" you have a lesser connection than you actually do - on
> the Roku forums anytime someone complains about PQ, they are instructed to
> switch to a google DNS or an open DNS, and that always seems to fix the
> problem.

Actually, I think you might have that backward. A lot of the streaming
media services are setup so that they have servers distributed all
over, and DNS servers will typically point to the closest streaming
server. The idea is that using the server closest to you typically
gives the best performance. However, when you use Google Public DNS or
OpenDNS, you end up getting a streaming server that is close to the
DNS server, but not necessarily close to you, and performance suffers.

--
Ron Frazier