[mythtv-users] OT: I'm abandoning Netflix (WD Live Hub too.)

linux guy linuxguy123 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 17:59:13 UTC 2011

Just a little update on my Netflix situation.

I was going to put a Netflix enabled "box" in the service room and connect
the component out to an HD-PVR connected to my Myth back end.  I know there
would have been issues doing that, but I thought it was worth the effort.

So... I bought a WD Live Hub and tested it out, connected directly to my 55"
Samsung.

The first issue is the picture quality with Netflix.  Netflix might
advertise the movies as HD on their menu, but the stream quality is far less
than that.   On the component out on the WD box, they had a resolution of
480 lines.  HDMI out had a resolution of 1080i, but the quality was pretty
much the same as the 480 output and there were many visible encoding
artifacts.

The second issue is that a lot of the services on the WD Live Hub hardly
worked.  Shoutcast, for instance, had far fewer stations than it does in a
browser on a PC and half or more of the stations on the WD box failed to
connect.

So... I have basically given up on Netflix.   I'll rent a Blu Ray DVD or
watch HD satellite feeds instead of using Netflix.

I've also given up on "media streamers".  Somehow I thought they would be
slicker and easier.  I can do anything they can do better on a PC.

I realize that a lot of you probably knew this stuff already.  Nevertheless,
I hope this post helps someone.

LG