[mythtv-users] Combined BE\FE (Sandy Bridge)

Andrew Barbaccia andrew.barbaccia at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 00:09:59 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 8:05 PM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>wrote:

> On 08/23/2011 07:40 PM, Andrew Barbaccia wrote:
> > I recently saw these from ASRock, but they are not available in the US
> > yet (no pricing or performance reviews). Seems like they might make a
> > pretty capable sandy bridge FE / BE with room for an additional HDD. I
> > like how the remote IR is integrated into the case - I dislike having
> > the dongle sitting on my TV cart.
> >
> > http://www.asrock.com/nettop/overview.asp?Model=CoreHT%20Series
> > (click product specs, then CoreHT-231D)
> >
> > For those with a SB processor, what deinterlacing options are
> > available at this point? I've read a few different reports of VA-API
> > support existing, but no deinterlacing. Does that mean playback is
> > handled by hardware but software still does all decoding?
> >

> Someone else on IRC mentioned the ASRock Vision 3D:
>
> http://www.asrock.com/nettop/overview.asp?Model=Vision%203D%20Series
> http://www.asrock.com/microsite/Vision3D/index.asp?c=Main
>
> whose big benefit is that all models come with a GeForce GT425M (meaning
> VDPAU support).  (IMHO, this is the new Mac Mini replacement, now that
> the Mac Mini is using Intel and AMD GPUs.)
>
> There are models with Core i7, i5, and i3 and with BD or DVD drive.
> Unfortunately, newegg only seems to have the i5 w/ BD version:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856158019
>
> so it's not dirt cheap.  SuperBiiz (never bought from them, not
> recommending them...) has an i3 w/ BD for about $80 less (but they're
> sold out of the black model i3 w/ BD, which was $135 less).
>
> White i3: http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=MB-V3D137W
> Black i3: http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=MB-V3D137B
>
> and, FWIW, they also have the black i5 w/ BD, but it's about $85 more
> expensive than newegg's:
>
> http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=MB-V3D156B
>
> (which may say something about how much the i3 versions should be worth).
>
> There are also several on Amazon, but their prices seemed higher.  Not
> sure if these are out-of-production models or if they just didn't ship
> many to the US.  Others may have better luck finding them in their
> countries: http://www.asrock.com/microsite/Vision3D/index.asp?c=Buy .
>
> No clue about the VA-API stuff.
>
> Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the response. I was initially looking at the vision3d, but they
don't have the sandy bridge processors. I was hoping to lose the separate
GPU and save on some power consumption (and hopefully cost!).

Guess we'll have to see where they are priced at.

Still interested in the VA-API stuff. If anyone has experience with sandy
bridge deinterlacing, let me know!

Thanks,

--
*