[mythtv-users] Best way to integrate a Netflix feed into Myth ?

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Tue Aug 23 16:34:23 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 11:59 AM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> I really don't get why people think I'm so far off base saying that
> recording the output of a Netflix player device to distribute it around
> the house would be a less-than-ideal experience.
>
> Anyway, I'm bowing out of this thread.  I've already provided my
> assessment of the OPs plan, and you all are welcome to encourage him to
> go down that path if you really like, or to read things into what I said
> in my posts.  I'll go off and do something productive--like work on some
> code to help make MythTV a better "mythical convergence" device--instead
> (and leave you to wonder if I mean the "new" mythical convergence).

Mike, I agree completely with what Ron posted earlier but I think you
have missed his point.  We're all in agreement here, but it's the way
you're presenting things that we're objecting to.  If you had just
said something like:

  Doing low latency video is really really hard, especially with the
limitations of the hardware that people commonly have.  I understand
that this would be really cool to have, but for the amount of work it
would require to get a feature like this working, I could implement
ten other features that people really want, so this just isn't going
to happen in the foreseeable future.

Then we could all just move on.  But instead, your posts seem to focus
on why you shouldn't want to do this using a tone of voice that seems
to challenge the intelligence of anyone who might want to try.

Eric