[mythtv-users] Best way to integrate a Netflix feed into Myth ?

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Tue Aug 23 12:59:55 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 12:40 AM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 08/22/2011 06:34 PM, Ronald Frazier wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 2:28 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>> it makes no sense to hook up a set-top-box Netflix player
> ... [to a MythTV backend to record its output] ...
>>>   to play a Netflix stream.
>> So if I have 3 TVs in my house, and I have 1 device capable of
>> streaming netflix to my TV, it doesn't make any sense to want to use
>> that one device on my choice of the 3 TVs? The only option that makes
>> sense is to dish out a few hundred dollars extra and have one hooked
>> up to each TV? Granted, it may not be easy or pretty, or may not
>> conform to the ToS, but to suggest it doesn't make any sense to want
>> to do it?
> OK, trimming is good, but when you trim out the entire point of my post,
> it's not so good.

Uhhh, that's not true at all. The part of the post I trimmed were 2
links where the answer was basically "you shouldn't do that...spend
some more money instead". And then my reply specifically addressed the
suggestion that buying additional hardware is the only way you should
do it.

> Do you hook up your BluRay player or DVD player or game console to a
> MythTV capture device and use that to allow you to watch a BluRay from
> any room in the house or play PS3 from any room in the house?  No, you
> buy a device for where you want to use it or you use the TV where the
> device is connected.

Not really a fair question. I wouldn't want to play a PS3 from any
remote system because, for a video game, any sort of lag will make the
system completely unusable. That's not the case for watching a movie.
And I don't hook up a bluray player because it was a lot cheaper for
me to just buy AnyDVD and a BD drive for my windows PC and just rip
the bluray to the network, and that cheaper solution actually worked
out better. But I certainly did think about how to do it at first...it
just turned out to be the least appealing solution from every angle.

> I /seriously/ have no idea what you all want me to say.  MythTV
> recording is /not/ the right tool for the job--and I don't think anyone
> who has ever spent one minute trying to use a user interface through
> MythTV recordings would disagree.

No, I don't really care what you say about it. Say nothing. Say it's
not the best solution or there's no easy/good way to do it. But do NOT
suggest that someone shouldn't want to do it because it makes no sense
just because there's a solution that involves spending more money.
Mike, you are a wealth of knowledge to this forum, and you contribute
good answers to more threads around here than anyone else I can think
of. But you also often make posts that basically amount to "you
shouldn't want to do it because I don't want to do it". Whether or not
you intend to come off that way, I don't know, but that does seem to
be the way some of your posts come off to quite a few people.

But more to the point, aside from all of the above, the OP didn't
actually say it had to be done in myth...he said on his myth system.
And the person you were responding to when I replied had ALSO not said
anything about doing it in myth...he was saying the question could
just be asking how to do it on the hardware available without hooking
up an extra device. You were the one that then redirected it back to
the idea of recording it with the mythtv backend. A very good answer
to the question actually being asked (and an answer which someone
already gave) was to do it in a VM. Semi elegant, doesn't require
running to the backend to control it, and doesn't require buying a
bunch of extra hardware.

> Are you demanding that someone write
> some new plugin to replicate PlayOn's (ToS-questionable, at the least)
> server?  Are you trying to prove I don't care about users?  Are you
> trying to say that the MythTV project has lost its focus?  Are you just
> trolling?

Wow. Where the hell did you come up with that? What posts from me or
anyone else in this thread would even remotely suggest anything like
that? The closest I can find are a couple of post where people
essentially made a joke about the idea of mythical convergence, but
that was basically just aimed at the fact that you seemed to be
crapping on the idea of someone wanting to do everything on the
hardware available.

Ron Frazier

More information about the mythtv-users mailing list