[mythtv-users] Best way to integrate a Netflix feed into Myth ?

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Sun Aug 21 15:52:07 UTC 2011

On 8/21/2011 09:39, Rob Davis wrote:
> On 21/08/11 02:49, Raymond Wagner wrote:
>> On 8/20/2011 22:38, Rob Davis wrote:
>>> I recently ditched Cable and still have an HDPVR, so have put this on
>>> the bluray player.  However, my remote Mythfrontend doesn't have a
>>> recent enough libx264 to compile against so it won't work remotely.
>> Huh?  x264 is a video encoder.  MythTV does not support encoding to the
>> H264 format, and so could not use x264 even if you had a "recent enough"
>> version.  Further, the HDPVR is a hardware encoder, not a framegrabber,
>> and would not need an encoding library anyway.
> Dunno, the effect is that it won't play the channel on the remote
> framegrabber, but will on the local one.  I though enabling x264 support
> would allow video playback and ./configure presented me with the error
> that the library was too old.  Gave up at that point.

If you see an option in configure for '--enable-libx264', then you are
running trunk.  If you see that option, you would also note that it
specifically mentions its only for encoding, and that it only affects
the mythffmpeg binary, not MythTV.

A 'framegrabber' is a capture device that provides raw frames to MythTV,
which it then has to encode in software.  The HDPVR is not one of
these.  Local and remote framegrabber, I don't think you are using that
term properly.