[mythtv-users] Best way to integrate a Netflix feed into Myth ?

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Sun Aug 21 07:49:08 UTC 2011

On 8/20/2011 22:38, Rob Davis wrote:
> On 20/08/11 20:20, Linuxguy123 wrote:
>> On Sat, 2011-08-20 at 16:25 -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>
>>> Hit the input button on your TV remote to switch it to viewing the
>>> output of your Blu-Ray or DVD player with Netflix integration or your TV
>>> with Netflix integration or your Roku device or your Wii or your PS or
>>> your XBox 360 (assuming you also have an XBox Live Gold subscription) or
>>> ...?
>>>
>>> After all, it's not like you're allowed to record the movies you're
>>> streaming from Netflix, so MythTV wouldn't be adding any real benefit.
>> There is no need to record movies when you can get them any time on
>> Netflix.
>>
>> I need to "capture" the Netflix stream so that I can distribute it to
>> the TVs around the house.
> I use a Windows machine and playon from www.playon.com.  It will allow
> Netflix to become accessible via uPnP.

PlayOn breaches the DRM chain, offering copy protected content without
any form of protection over UPNP.  Either PlayOn is accessing NetFlix
content without authorization, or someone at NetFlix isn't paying much
attention.  It all seems a bit too shady for my tastes.  Or the third
option, the whole thing is completely legitimate, and there is no reason
why MythTV should not have access to the same interface to implement its
own support of NetFlix Instant.

> I recently ditched Cable and still have an HDPVR, so have put this on
> the bluray player.  However, my remote Mythfrontend doesn't have a
> recent enough libx264 to compile against so it won't work remotely.

Huh?  x264 is a video encoder.  MythTV does not support encoding to the
H264 format, and so could not use x264 even if you had a "recent enough"
version.  Further, the HDPVR is a hardware encoder, not a framegrabber,
and would not need an encoding library anyway.