[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun Prime iPad app

Ken Truesdale kat at tiac.net
Sun Aug 21 01:27:04 UTC 2011

> Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2011 12:16:08 -0500
> From: James Van Vleet <james at vanvleet.net>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] HDHomeRun Prime iPad app
> To: Discussion about MythTV <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>
> I did a brief stint in the appliance hardware thing and based on
> that experience I don't believe this is the case.  The real reason I
> discovered is that it is *much* less expensive and painful from a UL (or
> other equivalent) standpoint to purchase an already approved UL external
> power supply and feed low voltage into your device.  Doing this can make
> both the initial UL cert and the updates as the device changes a snap.
>
> Otherwise you are feeding 110-220 volts into your device and UL is MUCH more
> interested in those.
>
> Also there is the whole getting that heat out of our device thing, but in
> our case taking a lot of the UL headaches out of the system was the big win.
>
> -James

At the risk of twisting this thread further off topic (sorry, Matt!)...

Wouldn't it be nice if there could be some standard for DC power input to devices?  All of them at 12 VDC or 5 VDC or something.  And then you'd be able to buy a low voltage "power strip" that had a series of these low voltage connectors on it so that you didn't have a string of 7 wall warts fighting for space on a 120VAC outlet.  You'd have a single block doing the transforming and each device could just pick up that output.  I know there'd be challenges to managing the power output but I imagine a world where there could be some agreement on device demands and power strip supplies.  I figure this would be electrically more efficient too and then manufacturers like SiliconDust wouldn't need to worry about power supplies at all - it'd be up to the consumer to have that low voltage brick.  Then cell phone chargers and other portable devices could follow suit and ....   I'll stop now, probably too idealist...

Ken.