[mythtv-users] Master: In progress recordings being removed as duplicates of themselves?

Christopher Kerr mythtv at theseekerr.com
Sat Aug 20 16:38:10 UTC 2011

On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 2:12 AM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>wrote:

> On 08/20/2011 09:03 AM, Christopher Kerr wrote:
> > I've got a weird problem that'll make me sound mad, and (thanks to an
> > unrelated problem) I don't even have logs to back it up.
> >
> > Tonight (and on two other occasions in the last week or so) I've had a
> > recording start, appear in the recordings list, and later disappear
> > again. When I check the Previously Recorded screen, it insists that
> > the show wasn't recording because a previous showing had been.
> >
> > Since every occasion thus far has been on a first screening (new
> > episodes of Top Gear, Midsomer Murders and Marchlands) the duplicate
> > detection is clearly misfiring - indeed, since the recordings
> > start successfully, I can only presume that the recordings are being
> > detected as duplicates of themselves!
> >
> > On an unrelated but important note: is there any way to check where a
> > running instance of mythbackend is logging? On Ubuntu, the logs should
> > be in /var/logs/mythtv/mythbackend.log , but my most recent logs are
> > from the 24th of July...
> >

> Sounds like garbage EIT data messing with start/end times during the
> recording?  (Though some other stuff would have to happen to actually
> make the recording disappear, too.)

Definitely not, EIT is disabled for every channel.

> Would definitely need logs to diagnose.  Only your mythbackend start
> script/configuration could tell you where it's logging--or someone else
> who uses your distro and its start script/configuration.  Note, also,
> that if the user running mythbackend doesn't have permissions on the
> /var/logs/mythtv directory or the /var/logs/mythtv/mythbackend.log file,
> it won't actually log to that file...

Checked the script, it's definitely supposed to be logging to
/var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log. It also definitely isn't.

I tried starting mythbackend from the command line with the --logfile switch
- should I expect to see errors in the console if there are file permission
problems?

- Chris