[mythtv-users] digital cable is upon me for real now

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Fri Aug 19 03:01:12 UTC 2011

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 9:34 PM, Jerome Yuzyk <jerome at supernet.ab.ca> wrote:
> What's the easiest way to add the digital box to the PVR-500 and use it for
> the Tier 1-3 channels? Is it possible to use it simultaneously with the 2
> analog tuners to give me 3 input sources?

OK, if I'm understanding correctly, you are going to continue to
receive some of your channels in analog, and you'd like to continue
recording those with the PVR-500. For those channels that go digital,
you want to record them from the cable box also using the PVR-500.
Assuming your cable box has composite outputs (red+white+yellow
connectors) you can connect those outputs to the PVR-500's composite
input (which, when I bought my PVR-500 many many years ago, came on a
little secondary panel that occupied another card slot and connected
to the PVR-500 via a few wires). Then you can also continue to feed
your PVR-500 via coax. So you will configure myth with 3 inputs: 2
tuner inputs and 1 composite input. Then, the important part is to
realize that the composite and one of the tuners share the same
hardware and thus only 1 can be active at a time. You need to figure
out which of the tuners is shared with your composite and assign those
to the same input group. The idea of the input group is to tell myth
that multiple inputs share the same backend hardware and thus only one
can be in use at a time.

Of course, you are then going to also need to either configure an IR
blaster to change channels, or (if your cable box supports it) change
the channels via firewire.

--
Ron Frazier