[mythtv-users] udev help

Terjesen Jens Peder Jens.Peder.Terjesen at devoteam.com
Mon Aug 15 12:17:57 UTC 2011

Tim Draper wrote:

---------------------------------
i have 2 different tuners and upon reboot of the mythtv PC, the TV cards loose their /dev/dvb/ assignment and i end up with a DVB-S2 config on a DVB-T card.
i have to enter mythtv-setup to wipe the devices, readd them, and then re-attach the scan data. only takes 5 mins, but it's a big annoyance.

i found a wiki document (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Device_Filenames_and_udev), and i have each cards particulars.

however i'm now very confused about what im doing next!
one section in that wiki article, says KERNEL=="video[0-9]*", and the next section says SUBSYSTEM=="dvb",

how do i know what i need to add to the udev rules file?

all my cards are DVB cards (DVB-S2 has 2 inputs, DVB-T has 1 input), so i suspect i need to be using the SUBSYSTEM filters and not the KERNEL ones? will i need 3 rules, 1 for each input, or can i just limit to the driver files (cx23885, and cx88*)?

i understand what the aim is an why im doing it, but i am confused about which bits go where!
thanks for any help!

>From this thread it looks like both drivers support the adapter_nr module option:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/459843?do=post_view_threaded#459843

E.g.
options cx23885 adapter_nr=0
options cx88-dvb adapter_nr=1

in /etc/modprobe.d/options.conf (or other configuration file)

Jens