[mythtv-users] Playback problem -- random short pauses

Don Lewis dl-mythtv at catspoiler.org
Fri Aug 12 07:50:43 UTC 2011

On 11 Aug, Steven Adeff wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 9:03 AM, Andre <mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk> wrote:

>>> The patch itself applies cleanly to 0.24-fixes,
>>> after first renaming "ringbuffer.cpp" to "RingBuffer.cpp" in the patch file.
>>>
>>> Seems to work fine, too!
>>
>> Did this get committed to 0.24-fixes?
>>
>> I ask because since applying some updates a week or two ago I have considerably less pauses/glitches. :-)))
>>
>> I still see the odd lone glitch which I guess is backend activity related and I still have some glitching on fade to black credits scenes, oddly enough it doe it on fade to white too, not often you see that though. The main thing is I can now watch a 1 hour HD show and it's usually glitch free, great stuff, many thanks.
>>

>> I waited a while to report back as I haven't been watching much TV lately and wanted to be sure it wasn't just luck.
>>
>> Andre
>
> yes, at least some of the fixes were backported, I've had much better
> playback since then as well, not perfect, but a marked improvement.

Much better here as well.  I was typically seeing long pauses every time
mythbackend started and/or stopped a recording.  I frequently had to
back up a few seconds to be able to understand the dialog.

After the upgrade, I was watching for a few hours on Wednesday evening.
It was a very busy night for recording, with multiple recordings going
on in the background while I was watching.  I didn't notices any pauses
in playback, though I did notice one instance where playback slowed down
for about a second.