[mythtv-users] Script for updating HDHomerun channels automatically

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Fri Aug 12 01:28:09 UTC 2011

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 4:04 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 10:31 PM, Ronald Frazier <ron at ronfrazier.net> wrote:
> Does this only work for channels that are labeled with a useful callsign?
>
> I get callsigns on only a handful of channels, both with Verizon Fios
> and previously when I had Comcast.

No. At present, it doesn't actually do anything with the callsign.
I've found that too often callsigns are either missing or change
often. When they're there, they aren't always the best abbreviation.
Sometimes they aren't even abbreviations at all (check out the verbose
callsigns on this lineup:
http://www.ronfrazier.net/mythtv/cci/index.php?id=2 ). So I don't use
them for matching the channel (because I have to assume many users
would use their own modified callsigns, or would prefer the callsigns
from schedules direct), and I definitely don't update them (because
I'm afraid someone would hunt me down and strangle me when they find
I've broken their recording rules). In a future update I may use
callsigns to help me better identify when the cable company shifts
channels around (ex: yesterday I saw 50 DISC, and today I see 50 AMC
but 56 DISC), but I can't see it ever being very reliable for matching
or modifying your myth lineup.

So, at the moment, it uses the virtual channel number as the key for
figuring out what to update. If you use hdhomerun_config to do a
channel scan, you will generally see channels in the output in one of
a few formats:

PROGRAM X: Y SIGN
or
PROGRAM X: 0
or maybe even
PROGRAM X: 0 SIGN

(I don't recall if I've ever seen that one). In all these cases, X is
the mpeg program number, and Y (or 0) is the virtual channel number.
If Y is nonzero, I use that as my key. If Y=0, then I assume the
program number (X) should be used as the channel number and the key
(unless you specify the flag telling the it to ignore channel 0). I
then find the myth channel with the matching channum on the specified
source, and update the other settings as appropriate

--
Ron Frazier