[mythtv-users] An companion script for jamu.py

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Thu Aug 11 21:31:21 UTC 2011

On Thu, 11 Aug 2011 13:23:07 -0700, Epinephrine Junky
<epinephrine_junky at beadon.ca> wrote:
>> If you are using 0.24, there is no scan.  Batch metadata processing
>> triggers when a scan is manually performed (if configured as such), or
>> when manually run from the MythVideo menu.
>
> You lost me there.  "there is no scan... processing triggers when a scan
> is performed". How should MythVideo know when new files have appeared on
> the drive?

What I mean is that in 0.24, there is no mechanism to programmatically
trigger a scan.  The only scanner built into MythTV is in the MythVideo
plugin, and can only be accessed with a keyboard or remote through the on
screen menu.  In 0.25, the scanner has been moved to a shared library, and
is now accessible to the backend through a backend protocol call.  All you
have to do is connect to the backend and tell it to scan.  This can be done
as easily as:

> #!/usr/bin/env python
> from MythTV import MythBE
> MythBE().backendCommand("SCAN_VIDEOS")

> I want to understand how to set Myth to periodically check the drive for
> new/moved video files.

In 0.21-0.24, JAMU filled that role.  In 0.25, mythbackend will do it
internally with the above script.

> Reasonable guess but the files are on a local 1.5TB drive on the
combined
> BE/FE. Any other ideas?  Should I try to get a log when this happens?

Are you scanning from the combined FE/BE, or from a remote FE?  Are you
using Storage Groups (set in mythtv-setup) or the old folder definitions
(set in frontend setup)?  Is this content on something like NTFS, or is it
on a native Linux filesystem?