[mythtv-users] Test drives with hdparm

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 14:58:19 UTC 2011

On 11 August 2011 14:52, Josu Lazkano <josu.lazkano at gmail.com> wrote:

> # hdparm -tT /dev/sdb
>
> /dev/sdb:
>  Timing cached reads:   1326 MB in  2.00 seconds = 662.71 MB/sec
>  Timing buffered disk reads: 368 MB in  3.00 seconds = 122.66 MB/sec
>
> Are thoose numbers correct? I need to configure it other way?

A typical SDTV recording is usually less than 2MB/sec, so your
transfer rate is not the problem. Do have a powerful enough CPU or
graphics card for the video format (e.g. MPEG-2 or H.264) your
recordings are stored in? Which playback profile are you using?

I would recommend running htop to monitor the CPU usage during
playback, and iotop to monitor IO load. These might help to narrow
down where the pauses are coming from, if they are related to system
load.

Is your database on the same physical drive as your recordings?

Have you tried playing a recording in another media player, such as
mplayer or vlc and see if you get the same pauses?

Cheers,
Nick

--
Nick Morrott