[mythtv-users] Network Bridging my Ceton InfiniTV 4

Tom Bongiorno two.bits.11 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 17:23:06 UTC 2011

I don't completely understand what I am doing when setting up a bridge in my
/etc/network/interfaces file.  I am running Ubuntu 11.04 with bridge-utils
installed.  My host NIC is eth0 and the Ceton card is on "NIC" ctn0.  There
is also the Ceton web server that accessible via the ctn0.  I setup the
Ceton and its web server for DHCP.  I had my interfaces file as follows:

auto br0
iface br0 inet dhcp
       bridge_ports eth0 ctn0

This sorta worked, but had some negative side effects.  Since I use IP
reservations on my router and the InfiniTV 4 MAC address changes upon every
reboot, the IP would jump all over.  Is there any way to get the InfiniTV 4
to retain a static MAC address?  There may be a couple more problems, but I
will have to look into it when I get home.

I ultimately want to set reserved IP address on my router for my host
machine, InfiniTV 4, and InfiniTV 4 web server so that my router can route
traffic accordingly.  Has anyone else done something like this?

I still have to do some testing, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

-Tom