[mythtv-users] Comcast CableCard Info

Tom Bongiorno two.bits.11 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 03:11:36 UTC 2011

On Sun, Aug 7, 2011 at 2:38 PM, Tom Bongiorno <two.bits.11 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 6, 2011 at 11:36 PM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 10:37 PM, Ronald Frazier <ron at ronfrazier.net>
>> wrote:
>> Copy
>> this
>> >
>> > Not staged? That's needs to be done before the device can be paired,
>> > and it can only be done by engineers in the NOC. I think sending a
>> > tech to your house is gonna do nothing but waste time for both of you.
>> > I'd try calling comcast back, getting in touch with the engineers and
>> > let them know your cablecard isn't even staged.
>> >
>> > For what it's worth, I found this thread where someone mentions that
>> > apparently a lot of people are having problems with unstaged cards:
>> >
>> http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-and-Equipment/CableCARD-Ceton-InfiniTV-4-tuner-Win7-Media-Center-does-not/td-p/914313
>> >
>> > And also, for what it's worth, I saw someone in the silicondust forums
>> > having similar issues with their Prime.
>>
>> agreed, the techs know what needs to be done, the first person you
>> talk to on the phone *does not*. Call, ask to talk to a tech. It took
>> the ones in my region 1/2 a day to figure out what was wrong for me.
>> For me it turned out the initial setup was done poorly so their system
>> could not send the signal properly to my card.
>>
>> --
>> Steve
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User:Steveadeff
>> Before you ask, read the FAQ!
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Frequently_Asked_Questions
>> then search the Wiki, and this list,
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/
>>

> I called Comcast this morning and have now spoken with three engineers.
>  They are essentially following the chain of systems responsible for
> triggering the outgoing validation message.  I am now awaiting a callback
> from the local engineer responsible for the last system that actually sends
> out the validation message.  I don't truly understand how staging happens or
> if a validation message will make this happen.  The engineer did go through
> the process of removing and re-adding the card to my account.  They
> attempted to send a validation message a few times.
>
> The last engineer informed me that they are purchasing a Linux box and a
> Ceton card to become familiar with the platform and card.  I told them that
> they may want to purchase a PRIME while they were at it.
>
> -Tom

WE HAVE VALIDATION!!!  I went out for a few hours and came home to the
message "Validated, validation message is received, authenticated, and the
IDs match those in the current binding".  At this point, the engineers do
not know that it is working.  They are expecting to talk to me tomorrow.  I
will try to pick their brains about all the steps that they went though.  My
goal is to come up with checklist for us to use when trying to get a CC
working under linux.

I did notice one big problem though.  Nearly three dozen channels are
incorrectly marked as copy-once.  I submitted my CCI scan (Sicklerville, NJ
08081) to Ron Frazier's site.  I had them fix these problems back when I was
using Firewire capture.  When I got my HD-PVR, I stopped using the flakey
Firewire capture.  Since then, Comcast has done major lineup changes.  I
guess they screwed it all up again.  I shot an email off to my trusty
Comcast contact from back then.  I will also mention this to the engineers
tomorrow, but I don't think this is their area.

-Tom