[mythtv-users] 'mythtv is idle' and wont auto shutdown/suspend

Tim Draper vhx64 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 7 07:14:35 UTC 2011

> How long have you waited after the FE shuts down?  In my experience it

> takes the backend between 2.5 and 3h to "time out" an FE that has gone
> AWOL.  IOW, once a FE connects, the backend will continue to assume it's
> on and connected for somewhere between 2.5 and 3h and prevent it's own
> shutdown for that time.

that could be it - i think i left it for 1.5hours last night. is there a way to reduce that timeout; something like 5-10minutes would be far more suitable (i presume the FE-is-online 'announce' flag is broadcast every few seconds).
it does sound like a bit of a bug - the FE isnt announcing it's shutting down and thus the BE is staying awake, so unless someone can come up with a solution, i might report a bug.