[mythtv-users] Two tuners showed up

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sat Aug 6 15:56:35 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Stephen Atkins" <satkins at inetdesign.org>

> Okay now that makes sense. Now the only problem is the stations I get
> here don't multicast. At least not yet. We are just switching to
> digital OTA as of Aug 31. They have had test signals going for a few
> months now and that's what I'm recording. Out cable companies feel the
> need to force people into renting or buying boxes to get the digital
> cable signals and won't let us use cable cards or anything like that.
> So I'm stuck with OTA and until they figure out how to multicast I'm
> hooped. Thanks for the info everyone. I'll keep it configured as it is
> but I'm not holding my breath for our TV networks.

You're confusing "OTA multicast" with "Cable multicast", I think, Stephen.

While multirec probably *would* handle OTA multicast, where a station sends
some auxiliary programs multiplexed into its signal, what Multirec is really
aimed at is CATV multicast, where the cable company multiplexes several
*primary channels* into one RF carrier, such that you might have the SDTV
signals for *all of your local network affiliates* on one carrier, and could
thus record programs from all of them with only one tuner.

I know this is less of an issue in some countries than it is in the US...

Cheers,
-- jra