[mythtv-users] Two tuners showed up

Stephen Atkins satkins at inetdesign.org
Sat Aug 6 04:50:52 UTC 2011

On 8/5/2011 7:13 PM, joe at thefrys.com wrote:
> indeed, multirec means recording multiple shows on the same 'broadcast channel' (laymans terms)
>
> For example, my cable company manages to squeeze 9 to 11 SDTV channels on one catv channel (a multiplex).   When I chose to watch any of those 11 channels, the data for all 11 arrives at my card and it only passes the one I am interested in to the rest of the system.  With Multirec on, the tuner simply passes more of the data.
>
> I have recorded as many as 5 shows concurrently from that one multiplex (never wanted more than that).
>
> You see the same thing in broadcast.  Most channels share a multiplex with others, the bandwidth of a standard NTSC channel is wide enough for 2 HD, and 4 or more SD channels multiplexed.

Okay now that makes sense.  Now the only problem is the stations I get
here don't multicast.  At least not yet.  We are just switching to
digital OTA as of Aug 31.  They have had test signals going for a few
months now and that's what I'm recording.  Out cable companies feel the
need to force people into renting or buying boxes to get the digital
cable signals and won't let us use cable cards or anything like that.
So I'm stuck with OTA and until they figure out how to multicast I'm
hooped.  Thanks for the info everyone.  I'll keep it configured as it is
but I'm not holding my breath for our TV networks.

--
Stephen Atkins
VE6CPU/VE6CIC