[mythtv-users] mythmusic doesn't display embedded album art in flac files

Paul Harrison mythtv at sky.com
Thu Aug 4 23:02:56 UTC 2011

On 04/08/11 18:29, Thomas Boehm wrote:
> Paul Harrison wrote:
>> On 03/08/11 15:39, Thomas Boehm wrote:
>>> I'm using mythtv 0.24+fixes and noticed that mythmusic doesn't display
>>> embedded album art from flac files. It works fine with mp3's though.
>> Currently MythMusic only supports embedded album art in ID3V2 tags even
>> in the 0.25pre version because the version of TagLib (1.6) we require
>> doesn't support reading/writing album art to any other format.  TagLib
>> 1.7 does now support album art in flac files but that is probably a
>> little too new to make the minimum version required. It would be fairly
>> trivial to add support in 0.25pre since the infrastructure is already in
>> place and we could conditionally add support if TagLib 1.7 is installed
>> it just requires someone who is interested enough to write the code :)
> When you say ID3V2, do you mean ID3V2 in MP3s? Because EasyTag has the
> option to write ID3V2 into FLAC as well and it still doesn't show in
> MythMusic.

Yes I meant ID3V2 in MP3s. Didn't know you could also add them to FLAC
files. How common is that? We only look for the XiphComment tags but
could easily also look for an ID3V2 tag as well and get the album art
from there. Stuart Morgan who did most of the TagLib stuff has said he
will look at adding ID3V2 support to the FLAC tagger and also possibly
add support for reading the Xiph album art tags for those with taglib
1.7 installed.

>  If MM doesn't support album art in FLAC yet, then I have to live with it
> until it is implemented and store the covers in the album folder. I
> don't really like the covers stored separately and haven't found a
> program which does it automatically. The suggested Rythmbox doesn't seem
> to do it as it claims. The plugin is enabled, but it only shows existing
> album art and doesn't download anything from the Internet. :-(

The album art editor in the trunk MythMusic can search the internet for
artist, album and genre images to use in MythMusic and will save them to
the appropriate directory for you. You have to do that manually per
album but it's something you only do once. You can also add images to
the tag or remove them. You can't save the tag image to the directory
mainly because I never though that would be useful.

> Thomas

Paul H.